Monday, October 19, 2009

You Thank God?


I wasn't really sure if I should write about this or not but I decided that it's actually something that I would like to have people's opinions on. I'm not sure how I truly feel about this topic but it seems quite controversial.
Well, I used to watch a lot of the music award shows when I was younger and I use to wonder why almost every celebrity thanks God in their speeches. I understand that a lot of people believe in the all-sustaining, all-powerful God like I do but I don't see why they would think that God is blessing them. I mean, I guess he is because their fame is rising but a lot of those people who thank God in their speeches are the same one's who curse and degrade women in their music. Now, I'm not one to judge someone's faith, which is why I was unsure about writing about this topic because it is hypocritical, but it's still a question of mine. I don't see why the same people who curse and don't even mention God in their songs think that they can proclaim to the world that they thank God for blessing them. The problem is that I really don't know who is blessing them;I don't know if God is the one helping them or if it's some other source.
James 3:10, 11 says "Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring?" I know that the Bible is not a reliable source in this class but when referring to God and the issue of praising Him and cursing men with the same mouth, this verse is the first thing that pops into my head. The verse says that we can't curse men and praise God with the same mouth.
It bothers me that these celebrities think that they can do this. Most of them grew up in the church and I guess that they automatically feel like thanking God is the right thing to do. But I don't see how they feel like it's okay to degrade women and curse men in their music.
I'm not saying that I am perfect so this topic is really hard to put up. I guess I just wanted to see what the responses would be. Maybe God does for a reason- maybe God blesses them for an ultimate purpose that we can't see right now. Whatever the case may be we should still try our best to live our lives the way God would like us to, or at least a life that does not question itself.

2 comments:

  1. I understand why you were skeptical about posting this question. It is difficult to criticize or question someone’s belief or faith in God when we ourselves are not perfect. But I do understand your confusion because I have many times asked myself the same question. I always thought that even though no one is perfect if we believe in God and that he is our Creator and Savior then we should use His perfect existence and model it. By doing this we would treat everyone kindly and with love even though we will make mistakes because we are not perfect. So I guess that people who say they believe in God or thank him but don’t live their lives in a manner that would reflect Christ just recognize Him as a greater being and that’s it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The question(s) I have for you are why do you think that them being rich or famous is a blessing? According to the gospels blessed are the poor, sick, weak, needy, etc. Blessed are the ones who help those who are in need. It is interesting to observe how even Christians are persuaded by society and what that society takes to be important. It is also interesting to see how happiness and wish fulfillment will confuse what is thought to be spiritual. Spirituality, if one cares to look, always equates with much suffering. If one were to take it this way, one would have to wonder who is it exactly that the celebrities are thanking. For Socrates such men (or women) should not be glorified, but instead pitied. Though they seem to be successful, their life reflects the kind of person they truly are, 'life' here meaning what they do and what they 'say'.

    ReplyDelete