Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Keep your coins, I want change

I always come across this picture and pass it with ease because I see the positive message out of it. This man does not want anyone's charity, he wants a different life- he wants change. From the looks of it and the fact that he is holding up a cardboard sign, I am assuming that he is homeless. The question that always comes to mind is how did this particular man become homeless? I mean, I'm sure there is a logical explanation and now he realizes that he wants a different life, he does not want to beg for money anymore. But why did he wait? Why did he not change from the beginning? When he saw that his bills were not being payed or that he was too lazy to find a job, why did he not change then? Why did he wait till all that he had was gone? I never understood why people are homeless but I guess there are a lot of ways. I know I can't make one inference as to how this particular man became homeless but the only thing I keep asking myself is why does he not change now? Does he not get tired of holding that sign? Why won't he be the change? I honestly do not know the answers to these questions and it bugs me to think that people are actually homeless. I am from the Washington, D.C. area and there is this one location where all the beggars and homeless people go. In my opinion, this place should be visited by more than just community service groups but by the government. The government should try to give those who really want change jobs. We should do something about this- they, the homeless people, should do something about this. Change does not necessarily mean a big house for them, it sometimes means just a better way to live their lives. The only way this is possible is by changing themselves. If they really wanted change they should try. A characteristic of a homeless person is usually laziness. If change is something that they want, they need to stop being lazy and try getting a job or living a better life. Change is necessary for everyone but for them it's more of a plea. They are begging for a change and in my opinion they should just do it. Sometimes, it could just be a change in their attitude. If they are unwilling to change their lifestyle, their attitude could help them get by. I understand that some people just can't due to certain circumstances, but those who can should make a change- they should be the change. The man in the picture above should be his own change. He needs to drop the sign and be the change he needs.

3 comments:

  1. When I first saw the picture you posted my first thought was a homeless man who was holding up a sign in response to Obama’s big campaign slogan, “Change.” I think everyone remembers the last presidential elections where it was one of the elections in which most people voted. During the entire Obama campaign Change was promised to the American public if he was elected President. Just like you I don’t know how this man became homeless or if in fact he is homeless. Especially in the financial crisis that we are going through the possibilities of why are endless. All over the country we can find families who are losing their jobs, homes and everything else in their lives. One of the sad aspect of this financial crisis is that we have children who are being affected and entire families having to leave their homes and begin to live on the street. But getting back to the man the way I saw it was that he was tired of being promised things that so far have not been upheld and he really wants that change that was promised to finally come. Although the change was promised months ago, so far those that are losing their jobs and their houses have not seen that change and the situation doesn’t really seem to be getting better. Families are still losing their jobs and having to move from their houses to the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many reasons as to why someone might be homeless. Whether it's their fault or not, they still need help. Personally, when I see a homeless, I'm skeptical as to whether or not I should give them change in fear that the money might go to support their bad habit(s). The only time I feel comfortable helping out is when they ask for food rather then money because then I know it's for a good cause. One time when I was down in Venice Beach, I saw a homeless holding up a sign that read, "Why Lie...I Need a Beer". I wanted to give that guy something just for being honest. Unfortunately it's not always their fault that they are on the streets. Some things just happen out of your control and there is nothing you can do about it. I do believe though that you should be willing to get up and do something about your situation especially when it's not a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the pic and I also enjoyed Keith's comment about the guy who said, "Why Lie...I Need a Beer". haha

    I also agree with Keith about the fact that it is difficult to pin down any one reason why the homeless and poor find themselves in their situation. However, it is not always the case that they can find the motivation or will to pull themselves up. Some, it is unfortunate to say, are just the way they are because that's the way they are. To say that all are this way or that way for some underlying reason is to make a metaphysical assertion that may not or does not hold water (not a Thales pun). To form a simple analogy, some people just like strawberry ice cream for no other reason than they just like it. There is no underlying reason for it.

    ReplyDelete